Don't Fuck It Up

What I'm Watching: RuPaul's Drag Race - Season 3

There are countless movies, TV shows, books, and such that I didn't or couldn't catch when they first came out, but unlike the Pop Culture Homework Project, these aren't important works that became part of the national conversation. It's just stuff I missed.

I try to be a good brother to my fellow sisters, but not all entertainment geared towards gay audiences is easy to endure. Like all minority audiences, we'll snap up any crumb that people deign to toss us, whether or not it's any good. I won't even open the can of worms that is the time when, in an effort to clear up space in my Netflix queue, I watched six indie gay films in a row. I've done too good a job of repressing it to go back to that horror show.

It is getting better, though, and never more so than RuPaul's Drag Race. I've never been a gigantic fan of the drag phenomenon in general, but I caught Season 2 of this show on a whim, and enjoyed how it skewered everything that's ridiculous about reality shows, even as it perpetuated the same stereotypes.


I wasn't able to tune in to Season 3, but just discovered that it's streaming on Netflix Instant. So, I'm (muff) diving in! No spoilers, please. I've only gotten through the first episode so far, and although I don't have a great sense of who will win or who the biggest bitch will be, I don't think there can be any argument that Mimi Imfurst has the best name.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Copyright © Slice of Lime